Food Memoir Link

http://www.girlswritenow.org/what-we-write/workshops/food-memoir/

The article I read about my topic didn’t really give me any ideas about specifically what I am going to write about, but more on HOW to write it. This essay sort of steered away from the traditional memoir that sort of narrates a memory from someone specifically. The author used quotes that people who were there said and she made it feel more like you were actually there with them instead of watching from outside the window. She talked about a memory of her mothers, that apparently her mother would tell all of the time. So in a way, I suppose that gave me the idea that I don’t necessarily have to write about a specific memory of MINE, but I could potentially also write about a memory of my mothers, or my fathers that they like to tell me all the time. Personally, that doesn’t trigger any specific food memories that my mother or father used to tell me, but I guess I do have time to think about that. I am still pretty stuck on my original idea.

Anyways, the article that I read was about a memory the author was told over and over by her mother, it explains in detail about a time when the author’s Aunt and Uncle were married and they received a live chicken as a wedding gift. She narrates her mother reliving the memory of the family slaughtering the chicken in their own kitchen. Apparently, when you cut a chickens head off it doesn’t kill it right away, I’m cringing just thinking about the chicken running around their living room making a bloody mess and then it dawned on me, that stupid expression, “Running around like a chicken with its head cut off” all made sense now, and it was true, you have got to be kidding me.

I picked this essay because, to be completely honest, it was one of the first ones that popped up on google, and it was the first one that gave me any sort of new idea.

04. February 2016 by dblogs
Categories: #Homework, #Misc. Thoughts | Leave a comment